Re: Org-mode bugs in the Emacs bug tracker

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Org-mode bugs in the Emacs bug tracker
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 00:53:23 +0100

Hi Tim,

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> What is https://updates.orgmode.org?

See the announcement on this list:
https://orgmode.org/list/87y2p6ltlg.fsf@bzg.fr/

It is a way to track important updates: mainly confirmed bugs,
upcoming changes, help requests, patches, latest releases.

> when I try that url, I get a 502 bad gateway error.

Fixed, thanks.

> The bit I find frustrating is I don't know where bug submitted to
> emacs-orgmode@gnu.org get tracked

For years, M-x org-submit-bug-report sends reports to this list, and
the list *is* the bug tracker.  I.e. we had no bug tracker.

Some users use M-x report-emacs-bugs to submit Org bugs, these bugs
get tracked on debbugs.

> i.e. those which are only submitted
> to the list and are not passed to the list from debbugs.gnu.org. I
> see bug reports come through on the list and I sometimes see patches
> posted to the list to address a bug, but where can I go to see the
> status of all currently known bugs and see threads relating to work
> in resolving the bugs etc. I don't mind if this means checking
> multiple repositories (though it would be better if there was one
> definitive repository).

Your safest bet is to check bugs on updates because bugs there have
been *confirmed* by someone.  Clicking on a bug on updates.orgmode.org
will bring you to the conversation on this list where the bug have
been confirmed.

Then, you can track bugs from debbugs, using one of these URLs:

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=org-mode
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs

Sometimes bugs reports on debbugs are also shared on this list.

> Is there some place where all bugs reported to emacs-orgmode list are
> tracked? For example, if tomorrow I find I have some spare time and
> would like to contribute to org mode by seeing if I can fix a bug,
> where can I go to find a list of bugs with current details about the
> status (including whether someone else is already working to resolve
> it).

You can go on https://updates.orgmode.org

You will find bugs to work on and requests for help.

Best,

--
 Bastien