Re: bug archiving policy

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: bug archiving policy
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 05:40:18 +0000

Do you doubt it also when user reports straight from Org mode? Would it be
wrong for standard emacs bug function to detect org mode and ask user if it is
org related, and if it is, to route user to org report function? You don't need
to ask if user does not begin bug report from Org mode

Routing is to me logical and reasonable, I get surprised that it is not and was
not obvious at inception of Org bug report function and that interface within
Emacs splitted into two directions of reporting bugs with later regrets and
efforts to make it again right. If not solved sooner, instead of 4 or 5 per
month it may results amount to 40 or 50 in some time as Org and Emacs become
popular.

There are few other functions that want separate bug reporting such as TeX etc.
They add to confusions.

It is more useful to have centralized bug database as that way there are better
answer and solve bugs. Imagine if that goes further to split each package bug
report to separate mailing lists, it does not branch reasonably.

Then we get into silly discussions with users telling them from official making
lists how Org is not Emacs, etc. wronging and thus rejecting users.

Functions shall be united and they may remain at two places. I would even place
it as main menu after Help as number of reported bugs does not correspond
appropriately to number of Emacs and Org users.

The general Emacs bug function should be improved with references or button to
jump to Org mode report template if it is org mode related. One click.

Org more function should report to central database debbugs, use procmail or
equivalent to automatically route those bugs to org mailing list. If you don't
know how, ask me or somebody who knows.

Things can be solved centrally without kicking users back and forth.