Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 16:24:44 -0500

   > Maybe. However, it could also be a combination of the fact github was the
   > first free git hosting environment and is the better known one.

Savannah existed long before Github.

   I think we should encourage people to move away from Github, for both
   GNU and non-GNU ELPA.

Linking to a repository hosted at github isn't the same as encouraging
people to use github, but do you think there is anywhere that the GNU
project or Emacs is encouraging people to move projects to Github?

   So we are left with naming and shaming; in list-packages, show the
   upstream repository along with the license and other info on a package,
   and show unacceptable ones in red. That could still be a lot of effort
   to categorize obscure hosts.

Naming and shaming people or projects who write free softwrae would be
counter productive to our goals -- if there is a package that cannot
be hosted in ELPA or non-GNU ELPA it is simply better to just not host
it.