Re: Script for compiling more quietly

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Script for compiling more quietly
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 10:32:36 +0000

Hi Lars,

For some time now, I've been using the simple shell script below to do non-development Emacs compilation. That is, when I say "git pull" I always say "emake" afterwards, and I also run it when I apply patches from people and stuff. It basically suppresses all the informational messages from the build process, leaving me with just the bear necessities, so that you can forget about your worries and your strife, I mean, the wall of text.

Thanks for your script, which is indeed handy. I attach a slighly improved version, which also "cleans" the autogen and configure steps, and which displays error/warning messages in bold red. I also replaced your "nproc" by "expr $(nproc) / 2 + 1", IME using nproc makes the computer unuseable, and is not much faster than nproc/2+1.