Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 09:29:16 +0100

Hi Stefan,

> We could also place some or all of the bundled packages directly inside
> `lisp` and have them be activated in the same way all other Emacs's code
> is activated (i.e. basically by loading `loaddef.el` at dump time), so
> they'll behave a bit less like normal packages and a bit more like Org
> and Tramp do now (i.e. you can't "not have them"), but I think the above
> suggestion is more conservative and flexible for the user (the downside
> is that it's less efficient at startup).

There would be a version conflict then for builtin packages, like
Tramp. Usually, I freeze the code in the Emacs tree months before the
real release. For Emacs 27.1, this freeze was done in December 2019
(Tramp 2.4.3.27.1); Emacs 27.1 was released in August 2020, when ELPA
did offer Tramp 2.4.5 already.

So you would have two different versions of Tramp bundled with the Emacs
tarball. I believe, builtin packages like Tramp or Org shouldn't be
bundled in the tarball as ELPA packages. People can always upgrade to
the ELPA version, if needed.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.