Re: elpa.git and `new-master`

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: elpa.git and `new-master`
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 18:23:08 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 14:53:47 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org> writes:
>
> > Could we not adopt "trunk" again, instead of "master" or "main"?
>
> "trunk" would definitely be my preference, but it seems like the git
> world is settling on "main"

There can be no meaningful "trunk" in Git, since it doesn't really
support the "mainline" notion, that's why it isn't used too much in
the Git world.  We gave up on trying to maintain a mainline in our Git
repository long ago.

(Of course, that doesn't prevent us from calling a branch "trunk" --
or anything else, really.)