Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 01:36:47 -0500

I read these words

    > Nothing, except that people have been conditioned to expect that
    > changes in options get saved automatically,

    I assume you mean _some_ people.

and saw that things were getting snarky.  "I assume you mean" is a
snarky way of disagreeing if it isn't reporting a typing error.

So I said,

    Would each you please take a deep breath, and respond
    more kindly from now on?

I guess you took that as an attack, rather than as an exhortation,
because you responded by throwing that perceived attack back at me:

    Would you please take a deep breath?

I did as you suggested, and on second reading I agree
that Robert Pluim's words were not unkind.  They seemed
that way when I first read them.  Sorry, Robert.

You continued with

                                          I don't think
    there was anything unkind in either what Robert said
    or in my reply to him.

    Did you actually read what each of us said?

Of course.  But only the parts that I cited.

I didn't read the whole messages, or any of the whole messages in that
subthread, because I'm not participating in discussing that particular
question.  If I wanted to participate, I'd have to read the points
made about it.  I decided it was easier just to say nothing about it.

  >   The point
  > of my emphasis on "some" was elaborated in the rest of
  > what I said,

I'm sure it was.  But I'm talking about the attack (against Robert)
that I perceived in the first line.  Not about the substantive point
it was the start of.

--
Dr Richard Stallman