Re: bug#30854: 27.0.50; Speeding up package.el startup

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: bug#30854: 27.0.50; Speeding up package.el startup
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 11:11:08 -0600

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

>> Yes: `package-activate-all` (called from `startup.el`).
>
> See if this is acceptable. I tried to make as few chagnes to package.el
> as possible, and I didn't wont to introduce a new file, so I just put
> the relevant files into startup.el.

FWIW, I think a new file would be better.  We could then also move the
bits and pieces from subr.el to this more logical place.

(On a related note, I'm not sure that making `package-activate-all'
disappear is TRT.  I think it is useful to keep that function.)

> I am not sure about package--activated; if quicstart should set it to 't
> or not. I don't think is needed, and am not sure if it is straight wrong
> to do too in quickstart, so I don't do that.

It is still useful if we keep `package-activate-all', I think.

But my preference would in any case be to make any functional changes
separately from this refactoring.

> Seems to work for me, but I am never sure with Emacs :-).

Does your patch avoid loading package.el?