Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 16:04:01 +0100

On Tue 22 Dec 2020 at 14:22, Daniel Martín via "Emacs development discussions."
<emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
> Gregory Heytings via "Emacs development discussions."
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:
>

>>> I've been trying for more than 10 years to urge people to work
>>> toward giving Emacs the document capabilities of a word processor,
>>> but I have not convinced people to do this work.
>>>

>> What do you mean by this?  I'm probably biased, but I don't see what
>> important "capability of a word processor" is lacking in Emacs.
>
> Something that works like LibreOffice, where you can write a document,
> select parts of it, mark them in bold, justify them, etc.  All of that
> while you see the results in a WYSIWYG fashion.  The closest thing
> there is now is enriched-mode, but that mode does not offer the same
> level of features as LibreOffice.

I hit a problem with WYSIWYG when trying to implement the WYG part for
emacs-pdf: My console emacs has black background but my paper is white.
Any ideas how to handle this use-case in WYSIWYG editor?

> There is more context about this potential new feature in /etc/TODO
> under the section "Emacs as a word processor".

I do not have /etc/TODO file.  Is there an M-x command to open that TODO
file?