Re: Copyright assignment and questions about package submission

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Copyright assignment and questions about package submission
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 09:28:51 -0500

> I'd like to submit a package I've been working on for the past few weeks
> to GNU ELPA (its repository can be found at sr.ht/~dsemy/swsw).

Great!
[ Caveat: I haven't looked at your package at all yet.  ]

> First of all, I haven't assigned copyright to the FSF; the manual
> indicates I should ask here for the forms.

Please fill the form below and send it to the FSF as instructed so they
can send you the relevant paperwork to sign.

> In addition, I have a few questions regarding package submission:
> 1. My package contains an info node -- I currently have a Makefile which
> generates the .info and dir files. When submitting the package, should I
> include the .texi file used to generate the info node and a Makefile, or
> the .info and dir files themselves?

Nowadays the GNU ELPA script can build the .info from the .texi
Notice also that you don't submit a set of files but a complete Git
history (GNU ELPA is not meant as a mere distribution site, but as
a development site as well), so ideally we'll just clone your main
branch as-is.

> 2. In the README of the GNU ELPA git repository, it is indicated that
> for a multi-file package I should include a patch with my submission
> email. I'll admit I'm a "casual" git user, so I'm not sure how exactly I
> should generate this patch. Which branch of the repository should I base
> my patch on?

The README needs a lot of work, indeed, especially because we've
recently changed our build scripts significantly.  A Git URL is the
preferred option now.

        Stefan

Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.
REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]