Re: [patch] add support for ibm278

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [patch] add support for ibm278
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 16:02:29 +0200

> From: Timo Myyrä <timo.myyra@bittivirhe.fi>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 13:21:54 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-12-24, 20:56 +0200]:
>
> >> From: Timo Myyrä <timo.myyra@bittivirhe.fi>
> >> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 17:39:25 +0200
> >>
> >> add support for ebcdic code page ibm278 for finnish/swedish
> >
> > Thanks.  I think this needs a couple of aliases, like cp278,
> > ebcdic-se-fi, etc.
> >
> > Also, if we are going to add this variant of EBCDIC, might as well add
> > the other IBM2xx codepages as well (with the respective aliases).
>
> Ok, I'm not sure about other ebcdic code pages but heres them added as
> well.

Thanks, I installed this on the master branch, minus the charset
aliases, which I think are not needed (as opposed to coding-system
aliases).

Please in the future accompany the patches with a ChangeLog-style
commit log message which names the files and the functions where you
made the changes.  (I provided this for you in this case.)  See the
file CONTRIBUTE for the details about that.

> I based my naming from IBM support docs and libintl-perl CPAN library:
> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SS3JRN_7.2.1/com.ibm.itcama.doc_7.2.1/oracleextended/fac_oracle_codepage.html
> https://metacpan.org/release/libintl-perl

FTR, I think the official site to look up this info is here:

  https://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets/character-sets.xhtml