Re: Suggest: Byte-Compile package-quickstart on a separate thread?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggest: Byte-Compile package-quickstart on a separate thread?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 21:58:51 +0200

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 11:52:10 -0800
> Cc: raman@google.com,
>     emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>     monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
>
> I dont think I've seen byte-compile interact with the user, what use
> cases does that happen in?

One case is if the user customized byte-compile-generate-call-tree to
a non-nil, non-t value.

Another case is when package-quickstart was somehow modified by the
time you invoke this.

And there could be others, I didn't look into all the functions and
subroutines it calls.  In general, interactive commands expect to be
able to communicate with the user, and so running them in another
thread could be problematic.