Re: making gettext more like fluent

From: Daniel Brooks
Subject: Re: making gettext more like fluent
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 22:49:20 -0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > Thus I would prefer to just compile the Fluent syntax into Lisp
>   > functions rather than to write a new interpreter.
>
> Fluent offers a possible way of improving translation handling for the
> whole GNU system.  That's what's really exciting.  It would make no
> sese to do as much effort, or perhaps even more, to get support for
> Emacs only and no other programs.

In principle I agree.

> Rust is not an option for the GNU system.  It has to be C.

In practice, I find it sad that you would tie the success of GNU to the
fashion for a single programming language. C has been successful so far,
and has lent that success to GNU, but it seems unusual to decide that
the GNU project could never embrace another language and allow it to
become coequal with C. But of course it's not my decision.

https://www.projectfluent.org/

> Is Fluent a trademark?  Is there a trademark license in Fluent?
> If so, could you please send me the full text of that, as well as its URL?

Good question; I'm not really sure. It's a Mozilla project, so I assume
it's like Firefox. I'll check.

db48x