Re: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 11:33:18 +0200

>   > > Could we move the new `C-s M-y' functionality somewhere else and retain
>   > > the old `C-s M-y' binding?
>
>   > This has been discussed many times, and the most promising solution is
>   > to add a single variable that will define whether the user prohibits
>   > changing the definitions of traditional keys.
>
> I think that is a bad approach, and here is why.
>
> Various changes are made in the Emacs user interface.  Occasionally
> there is one I find inconvenient and want to avoid.  But not all of
> them.  Probably not most of them.
>
> I want options to undo the changes I don't like, but I don't
> want that to imply rejecting _all_ changes in a blanket way.
>
> Now, if there are people who would like the ability to say, "Give me
> the Emacs 26 user interface," I don't object to offering it.  We could
> have a mechanism to associate user interface changes with major versions
> and then let users choose a version.
>
> But this is not a substitute for letting people disable specific
> changes independently -- those changes which need it.  Some changes
> are easy to revert by setting a key binding, and they don't need
> an option.
>
> We could pay attention to implementing a change, when possible, in a
> way that would make it easy to revert by setting a key binding or an
> option.  In other words, think in advance about the possibility that
> some people may not like the change.

What do you think about adding a new theme that contains all changes,
e.g.:

  (deftheme back-to-emacs-27)

  (define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-y" 'isearch-yank-pop)
  (setq read-char-choice-use-read-key t)
  (setq y-or-n-p-use-read-key t)

Then people could disable specific changes independently by copying
parts of such theme to their init files.