Re: Poll: Change xref-show-definitions-function's default?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Poll: Change xref-show-definitions-function's default?
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 15:33:27 +0200

On 31.12.2020 15:06, Daniel Martín wrote:

I've given a spin to the new options and I think I'd prefer the
transient option first, followed by choosing the definition from a
buffer (like it is now).  The completing-read option feels a little bit
akward to me because you first have to press TAB to see your options,
and then have to TAB complete on the "artificial" syntax that xref uses
for definitions (eg. "compile.el:(defun compile)").  The "transient"
option feels more natural.

That's a fair criticism: the completing-read one works best when at least either icomplete-mode is on (preferably with icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input=t) so you see the options right away, or with Ivy completion (then you can easily choose among the options with C-n and C-p).

I'm fine with the "transient" version if we'll have some consensus on that, but I wonder what can be done to make xref-show-definitions-completing-read "friendlier" even with stock completing-read.

If we showed the default in the prompt, it would be easier to see what's going on. These can be pretty long lines, though, so the result might turn out to be clunkier, since the prompt will still be showing it even after you start typing, press TAB, etc.