Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 10:28:40 +0000

I am proposing a systematic way to make them less likely, by helping people take notice that a UI change is being proposed, so they can object quickly.

In most cases, the reaction to UI changes is to complain about the change because it's ... different. That makes for very poor arguments, *especially* when the change is discussed without people having actually tried it out for a while to see how it plays out in practice after the initial "bump".

I agree with you, but I think you are missing Richard's main point: any significant UI change should either require setting a variable, or provide a way to disable the new behavior / re-enable to old behavior. Because it is always possible that, after having actually tried out a new behavior for a while, people dislike it. For example because they use Emacs in a way that was not envisioned by the developer who implemented the UI change, and that this UI change breaks their configuration, which relied on the old behavior.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think one of the reasons people use and like Emacs is that it is stable. Breaking its stability unavoidably creates frictions.

An simple and good example is the :extend attribute, which was added in Emacs 27. People who liked the old behavior simply had to add an ":extend t" attribute to a number of faces in their configuration, and that's all.