Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 14:09:26 +0200

On 02.01.2021 07:30, Richard Stallman wrote:
   > Just as the GNU website does not provide references to non-free
   > software catalogue, then why should such package be part of GNU ELPA
   > and unintentionally or intentionally promote non-free software. Note
   > the "GNU" in GNU ELPA.

There is no need to argue for or against this position, because it
reflects the GNU Project's policy as stated in the node References in
the GNU Coding Standards.  We won't suggest that people use
repology.org unless it changes its practice on this point.

repology.org is not a software catalogue.

It doesn't have any links to the programs themselves, or even pointers to their home pages. Its purpose is to show which version has been published where, and who is maintaining that.

As such, it's untenable to suggest that this project, or the proposed package, promote any particular piece of software listed.