Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 17:01:49 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: rudalics@gmx.at, larsi@gnus.org, juri@linkov.net,
>       drew.adams@oracle.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 00:17:28 -0500
>
>   > However, I see no reason to single out emacs-devel as the only medium
>   > suitable for such discussions.  The Emacs issue tracker is another
>   > valid medium for that.
>
> It may be "valid" in principle, but it is no a wise choice for changes
> in the Emacs command interface.  If we want to be confident that users
> will notice plans for changes, and say if they object, before the
> change is in a release, we are obliged to help users notice.

Users don't track emacs-devel, either.  In fact, most users nowadays
don't like to use mailing lists at all.  Moreover, the effect of a
change is not necessarily clear from the discussions, not unless the
reader knows enough about Emacs internals.  So I don't see how forcing
discussions to happen on emacs-devel will reach the goal of helping
users notice important changes and object in time.  It might help you
personally, and a few others, but that's a far cry from "users", IMO.

>   > > * Some time later -- it need not be soon -- poll the users and see who
>   > >   likes it _and why_.  Maybe change the default.
>
>   > Volunteers are welcome to step forward and take upon themselves the
>   > responsibilities for conducting such polls.  Failing that, I don't see
>   > how we can promise doing this as a matter of routine.
>
> That's not difficult.  People who want to make the new behavior the default
> will be motivated to conduct the inquiry.

If they are motivated enough, we don't need any rules for that, we
just should continue behaving as we did, because starting a discussion
on emacs-devel about any issue related to Emacs is always possible
(and happens already).