Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 19:43:46 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>,
>   rms@gnu.org,  juri@linkov.net,  rudalics@gmx.at,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>   drew.adams@oracle.com
> Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 12:17:41 -0500
>
> [ FWIW, I also think there are changes we should keep enabled only on
>   `master` *until* they stop being unpopular.  I'm specifically
>   thinking of things like removal of obsolete features.  E.g. we could
>   have features obsolete since Emacs-25 removed from `master` right
>   now, but with a way to get them back on-demand, and with the
>   understanding that they will still be present in the Emacs-28
>   release.  ]

AFAIU, this would need a more complicated procedure for cutting a
release branch: some commits would need to be reverted on the release
branch.  How will we keep the record of those commits?  And where is
the confidence that reverting a commit months after it was pushed will
not break Emacs, e.g. because some later commits depend on that?

Unless I completely misunderstand what you propose technically, I
think this idea is too hard to implement, at least as long as we have
only two active branches active at any given time.