Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 00:14:21 +0000

You are describing something that is already happening. In the vast majority of cases new features don't become the default, they are introduced as opt-in features and announced in NEWS. We consider making them the default after several releases, if and when people start asking us to enable a feature by default.

I agree with you that this is already happening in the vast majority of cases, so why would it be problematic to make this a rule, that in principle any change to Emacs' behavior should provide a way to re-enable the old behavior? IIUC that's all Richard wants. Of course that rule would not apply to bugfixes, and exceptions would be possible with the explicit approval of a maintainer.