Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 16:37:49 +0200

> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 11:15:16 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>, arthur.miller@live.com,
>   rms@gnu.org, ams@gnu.org, dgutov@yandex.ru, ulm@gentoo.org,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> To promote means to contribute to the progress or growth of, in one
> definition, and in other it means to make publicity for
> something.

repology.org does neither of these.  It provides basic information
about each package, and doesn't state any opinion on them, FAICT.  It
lets you judge that.  That's neither promotion nor advancement nor
publicity, in any reasonable sense of these words relevant to this
discussion.

> repology.el is promoting software packages including many non-free
> software packages.

I disagree.  It allows me to quickly find basic information about a
package, which is important in my job as an Emacs maintainer.  I
explained in my other messages why this is important and why I do it
almost every day.

> You may have different opinion on what promoting means. I don't agree
> it is not promoting.

You are entitled to your views, but here we discuss what Emacs as a
project should do.  That cannot be based on your or mine personal
views.