Re: Some more analysis of the 2020 Emacs User Survey

From: TEC
Subject: Re: Some more analysis of the 2020 Emacs User Survey
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 00:54:32 +0800

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> Nice work, thanks!

Glad you found it interesting :)

> At least now we can rule out "windows like" shortcuts are important;
> since CUA mode to be the least used.

I can't say I can come to that conclusion myself with the data currently
available. This is what I take away from the results:
- CUA mode is used by a small fraction of the respondents
  - both a bias towards emacs-involved developers and survivor bias
    would be at play here
- Keybindings were the most common term in the "Emacs learning
  difficulties" section
Crucially:
- We have no idea how many people were aware of CUA mode and how to
  enable it when they /just started/ Emacs.

> Am I reading you correcnt when I interpret that TUI = Emacs in terminal?

Indeed.

> I am surprised in that case, since I experience Emacs GUI window as a
> much better terminal, but might be just me :-).

I have heard (and found) that TUI emacs can perform better than TRAMP
(at least at the moment) over an SSH connection. Perhaps this has
something to do with it?
With the intake of Vim users, there could also just be a number of
now-Emacsers who are familiar with working in a terminal.

All the best,

Timothy.