Re: A whole lotta auto-saving going

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A whole lotta auto-saving going
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 23:23:23 -0500

> From what I can tell, in the recipe I used, the do-auto-save function is
> not called because of the number of non-menu events but because of the
> "idle timeout" (and indeed, AFAICT the process output does not generate
> any "events").

Apparently, the early exit from `wait_reading_process_output` comes from
the following `break`:

          if (!process_skipped && got_some_output > 0
              && (timeout.tv_sec > 0 || timeout.tv_nsec > 0))
            {
              if (!timespec_valid_p (got_output_end_time))
                break;

Does someone here understanding something of what
`wait_reading_process_output` does and what it is expected to do?

Why does it exit here before the end of the timeout?  IIUC it is
supposed to exit as soon as we got some output from `wait_proc`, but in
this case `wait_proc` is NULL.  Is it also supposed to exit when some
process output arrives?  If so, shouldn't `sit_for` wrap the call to
`wait_reading_process_output` inside a loop to make sure we wait the
whole timeout?

        Stefan