Re: [ELPA] New package: ob-haxe

From: ASSI
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: ob-haxe
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 07:27:44 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
> I'd be happy to do that, but just to be sure, I'd like to understand
> something first.  AFAICT, all other `ob-<LANG>.el` files are currently
> bundled with Org.

They aren't, there's quite a bunch of them that aren't properly inside
Org and of those that are, just a selected set is in Org core (only
those should be in Emacs by default).  The reasons are diverse, but for
a package to considered for core it must have copyright assigned to FSF,
suppport the complete feature set as far as the underlying language or
interpreter allows for it (i.e. session mode) and have an active
maintainer (Bastien or Nicolas can give you the "official" line on
that).  Secondary considerations are how common the language supported
really is and what it takes to set up an environment where you can
actually run tests.

> Personally, I'd tend to consider that the
> language-specific info for org-babel should belong with the major mode
> (just like the language-specific support for indentation, highlighting,
> flymake, imenu, etc.. belong to it).
> [ Side note: I'm not sufficiently familiar with org-babel to know if
>   bundling the info with the major mode is currently technically
>   realistic.  ]

Let's put it this way: I haven't seen any major mode that does that so
far.  I think the idea merits consideration, but as long as nobody tries
we don't really know what the pitfalls are.

Regards,
Achim.