Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the emacs tarball

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the emacs tarball
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 21:54:58 +0000

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> There will probably be a similar number of posts to emacs.devel about
> "where is org?"; the answer is either "cd elpa; make packages/org" or
> "git submodule update --init".
>
> Comments?

A few questions, rather.

One, both for myself and when building for Windows I use worktrees. So I have

emacs-git/feature/native-comp
emacs-git/master
emacs-git/emacs-27

For personal use I build in source, for Windows building I use these for
out of source builds.

How does that work with ELPA sub-modules? Git worktrees I think hard
links, so the files sizes are much smaller, but with submodules I am
going to get some of ELPA and it's .git multiple times?

My own abortive attempt to achieve ELPA bundled packages
(https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/?h=feature/core-elpa-by-copy),
solved one of these two problems -- a single ELPA git repo, but still
duplicated bundled packages in each worktree.

Two, I can live with the submodule update if I have to, but this will
have to be done on each Worktree I guess. Why not add `configure
--with-elpa`
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/?h=feature/core-elpa-by-copy

Three, out of source builds would I presume include the submodule in the
main git tree, not in the out of source location?

Phil