Re: master 5065698: Move the ‘declare’ form before the interactive spec

From: Mike Kupfer
Subject: Re: master 5065698: Move the ‘declare’ form before the interactive spec in 10 functions.
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 18:13:56 -0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:
>
> > I wonder what the intention was to do here

I tried to track this down.  (declare (ignore VAR)) is a Common Lisp
thing, to tell the compiler that VAR is unused in the function (so don't
warn about it being unused).  My CL reference doesn't mention "args" as
a pseudo-variable that could be used with ignore.  But it's an ancient
reference; I don't know what the current standard allows.

Based on iterating with "git blame", it looks like the (declare
(ignore...)) stuff was introduced with MH-E 7.0, which I think was the
first MH-E release that had speedbar support.  I don't know why a CL
construct was used here, or why the arguments are ignored.  Maybe Bill
Wohler remembers.

> > , what is the closest
> > valid thing?  Maybe
> >
> >   (declare (advertised-calling-convention (&rest ignored) "28.1"))
>
> I think just
>
> (defun mh-speed-toggle (&rest _ignored)
>
> would be fine?

Seems reasonable to me.