Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the emacs tarball

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the emacs tarball
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 12:19:21 -0800

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

> One, both for myself and when building for Windows I use worktrees. So I have
>
> emacs-git/feature/native-comp
> emacs-git/master
> emacs-git/emacs-27
>
> How does that work with ELPA sub-modules? Git worktrees I think hard
> links, so the files sizes are much smaller, but with submodules I am
> going to get some of ELPA and it's .git multiple times?

I've now tested this; I added an elpa submodule in a straight emacs
clone checkout, and in a worktree created from that clone. There is only
one copy of ELPA in the emacs clone repository.

> Two, I can live with the submodule update if I have to, but this will
> have to be done on each Worktree I guess.

You have to update each worktree now; updating the submodules should be
done by the same command that updates the worktree. If there is no git
command that does that directly, we need to write a shell script; that's
certainly possible.

Changing each submodule to the next release branch will be done in
emacs/master/.gitmodules by the package developer; I assume that will
propagate everywhere.

--
-- Stephe