Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the emacs tarball
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2021 06:42:00 -0800

> I don't have a strong opinion over using worktrees or submodules or
> what, but I think we should first clarify whether we intend to bundle
> *all* GNU ELPA packages or only some of them.

The process should support bundling any GNU ELPA package, but we don't
expect to bundle more than a few.

The process must also support converting a package that is currently in
emacs/lisp/... into a bundled GNU ELPA package.

> And then whether we want to keep the code (for those GNU ELPA packages
> we want to bundle) exclusively in elpa.git.
>
> I think we'll only want to bundle a few specific packages, and I think
> it might be simpler to keep a copy of those specific packages in
> emacs.git (in the form of branches, of course: we want to be able to
> easily sync those copies with the ones in elpa.git).

Yes. For the ELPA developer, it makes very little different whether the
release branch is in elpa.git or emacs.git. For the emacs developer,
emacs.git is better.

--
-- Stephe