Re: Org schemas we talked to be non-free, was: [ELPA] New package: repol

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Org schemas we talked to be non-free, was: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 01:29:08 -0500

Is this extension mechanism limited to adding new fields and options?
That may be sufficient most of the time in practice, but not enough
to make it free.

The reason that TeX change files are sufficient is that, being edit
scripts, they can represent deletions as well as additions.

You said there are other methods:

> There are several methods available for that, but the simplest one is
> to define new elements using the ones defined in the original schema.

Do the other methods enable the changes that this method does not?

Dmitry wrote:

  > Wouldn't that make it a derivative work?

That is a subtle question.  If the schemas mechanism is designed for
such use, maybe that's an argument that it is permitted.  If it comes
down to it, I can consult a lawyer about that question.

--
Dr Richard Stallman