RE: [External] : Re: POLL: make C-x o transient

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: POLL: make C-x o transient
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 00:03:02 +0000

> > So I think I would be against using C-= for this command.
> I know of at least one (MELPA) package that recommend this key:
> So I'd agree that this is a reasonable objection.

FWIW, I use `C-=' as a prefix key for comparison commands:

 C-= b           ediff-buffers
 C-= d           diff
 C-= e .. C-= f  ediff-files
 C-= w           compare-windows-repeat

Please do NOT sacrifice ANY new key for what's proposed.

If the aim is "a transient version of `other-window'"
then just use `C-x o'.  Anyone who prefers the old,
non-repeatable version can rebind to that.

Why on earth would we want to sacrifice two keys by
default: one for repeatable `other-window' and one
for non-repeatable?

Now, if people can't agree to bind repeatable by
default, OK; no problem.  Or if we can't agree about
just what repeatable `other-window' should do, OK.

But default bindings for both repeatable and
non-repeatable would be a ridiculous waste (IMHO).
___

FWIW, there are other Emacs keys that could usefully
be made repeatable.  I.e., no need for new keys, just
replace the binding to the non-repeatable command by
a repeatable one.

E.g., I've long used repeatable `C-a' and `C-e'.
I wouldn't be without them.  `C-a' repeated just goes
to the end of the next line...  `C-e' repeated goes
to the beginning of the previous line...

Not a big deal.  But (IMHO) hugely useful.  Just as
useful, for example, as `C-n' and `C-p'.