Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the emacs tarball - t

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the emacs tarball - take 2
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 23:01:31 +0000

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> Attached is an updated version of emacs/admin/notes/elpa, describing a
> proposal for bundling ELPA packages in the emacs distribution.
>
> I believe I have included all the recent discussions.
>
> I think I figured out a way to resolve the submodles vs worktrees
> dilemma; each emacs developer can choose. If they don't execute any
> submodule commands, they can use worktrees.

That will be a significant help, actually. I presume that any build
would be missing bundled packages? For me, this would not be a hassle
because I'll just set it up so they install from ELPA on first use.

It would still break my windows packaging scripts which use worktrees,
(or as it stands the windows distribution will miss ada-mode) but I
guess that only affects me. We are some way of Emacs-28, though, so now
is a good time to break things. I would hope that big packages (org!!!)
is not going to move for a while.

Also, some research suggests that the git developers are slowing
working out how to fix the module/worktree breakage, so who knows they
might have fixed it by then.

> If we can reach consensus on this, the next step would be to create a
> feature branch and edit the code to implement this, then do a practice
> release with that branch.

It's fine with me!

Phil