Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 19:06:48 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Shall we pick a length?  8 characters is probably more than okay but we
>> can go for 16 if we prefer to stay on the safe side.
>
> If 8 is enough, then why go for 16?  How is that safer?

They don't have to all be the same length. IIUC, one distinguishes
between different versions of Emacs, the other between .el. There are
not that many of the former, but quite a few of the latter.

It's also possible to use both file names (for identification of the
right file) and internal data (to avoid crashes after collisions).

I see that they have removed this limit for Windows 10, at least if you
ask Windows really nicely. Bout time, been a pain for years.

Phil