RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 04:44:01 +0000

> > > Well, then maybe someone will volunteer to do this job for you and
> > > others, and call people's attention to discussions on the bug list
> > > that might interest you and others.
> >
> > This seems like a cop-out, to me.
>
> The Emacs developers are volunteers doing this job on their own free
> time and as much as their resources allow.  When there's something the
> community would like to be done that the developers cannot afford
> doing, it is customary to call for volunteers to fill that niche.
> That's the spirit in Free Software projects developed by volunteers,
> and there's nothing wrong with that, certainly not something that
> deserves derogatory remarks such as the one above.

You quoted out of context and went off on something else.

My point was that, instead of relying on _anyone_
doing the suggested new job, it should be everyone's
job in a bug-thread to move a discussion to emacs-devel
if it ranges beyond the bug/improvement in question (and
if it's to be continued at all), and especially if it
seems to be leading toward a choice of whether to make
wider changes.

Not having everyone accept _that_ responsibility, and
instead expecting some designated person to alone be
responsible for calling emacs-devel attention to bug-list
discussions that might be of interest, would seem to be a
cop-out, yes - by all of us.  And in particular by anyone
in a bug thread who might be tempted to go ahead and make
changes wider than the bug.  Let's please try not to
change big things in bug threads anymore.

There's nothing derogatory, toward anyone, in what I
wrote.  Quite the contrary.  Let's all assume this
responsibility, and not push it onto some new role.

I called for us to manage bug threads in this regard,
and not just expect some dedicated town-crier to alert
emacs-devel.  Let's together try to move discussion to
emacs-devel when it goes beyond a particular bug and
starts discussing wider possible changes.

That's the problem to solve: move relevant discussion
to emacs-devel.  You proposed designating someone to
be responsible for that.  I said that would seem to
be a cop-out; we should all be responsible, and in
particular anyone considering making a change wider
than what the bug calls for.  Emacs-devel is the right
place to discuss possible changes that are big.  More
eyeballs, more ideas, more corrections.