Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 07:27:31 +0000

On Thu, Feb 04 2021, Karl Fogel wrote:

[...]

> Emacs has always rewarded users who learn to customize their
> keybindings.  Let's make it possible for that reward to be as large as
> possible by guaranteeing them some conveniently free slots for their
> favorite functions and keymap prefixes.

I honestly don't understand this reasoning.  Please bear with me.

Say today you have C-x g bound to a favourite command of yours.  How
would emacs 28 binding it by default to revert-buffer interfere with
your emacs usage?  Would that limit you in any way?  Chances are you
won't even notice (if you're setting it unconditionally in your
init.el).

By contrast, by our prohibiting binding any subset of keys to anything
at all, users who don't (or can't) customize their emacses will never
have any use for those "free" bindings, and will never have a more
convenient way of accessing, say, revert-buffer.

How are we making user's lives more convenient by prohibiting to emacs
maintainers (or library writers, for that matter) to use any currently
unbound slot for a new binding?

jao
--
We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found
ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.