RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 18:09:27 +0000

> |      (A)      |      (B)      |
> |---------------|---------------|
> | C-x j         | C-o j         |
> | C-x j = f     | C-o j = f     |
> | C-x j t . % + | C-o j t . % + |
> | C-x 4 j       | C-o 4 j       |
> | C-x x :       | C-o x :       |
> | C-x x t e     | C-o x t e     |
> | C-x x t + b   | C-o x t + b   |

You don't seem to be hearing that I want more
than just reserving one prefix key, `C-o'.

It's not about letting Emacs bind `C-x' keys
(and any other keys) by default, willy nilly,
and giving 3rd-party writers and other users
only `C-o'.

Reserving `C-o' for users and 3rd-party code
is a fine proposal.  I'd like the same thing
for `C-x j', `C-x x', and _all_ other keys
that Emacs does not currently bind by default
(not just `C-x' keys).

I'm suggesting a moratorium on Emacs binding
keys by default.

(And I mentioned that there could be exceptions,
in case of something discussed and considered
important enough.  The point is to try to
deal with the problem of a limited keyspace.)