Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 12:59:18 +0700

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 at 17:06, Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:

> what's the rationale for the capital letter after C-x rule? Itʼs not
> like Iʼm likely to type a capital by mistake (and eg edebug already
> doesnʼt follow this rule, since it binds 'C-x X <letter>' commands).

A practical reason could be Caps Lock. When it’s on, Ctrl+X still
produces C-x, but the following letter key produces a capital
character. Having C-x X different from C-x x would introduce a modal
error where all bindings suddenly change depending on Caps Lock.

(This is another manifestation of the wrongness of binding sequences
of _characters_ rather than _keys_. But that’s what we are stuck with
because of backward compatibility with terminals and terminal
emulators.)