Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 01:03:16 -0500

Thank you (and Sean Whitton) for explaining notmuch to me.

  > Which brings me to: if the point is to make certain kinds of bugs more
  > discoverable, adding that feture to debbugs is another option. For
  > example, if the bugs tagged "interface change" were interesting, debbugs
  > could send updates for such bugs to an "interface change" mailing list
  > that interested people could subscribe to.

I see an important advantage in that approach: each person does not
have to switch to using notmuch as per normal way of reading mail.
If enough people make a habit of tagging interface change proposals
in that data base, it would be a reliable way of finding those messages.
I would use it that way.

The drawback for me of switching to notmuch for my incoming mail is
that my incoming mail would be a lot bigger that way.  I currently
saye inbox files, so I have hundreds of incoming messages in one file.
One directory which covers almost 1000 days from Aug 2017 to Feb 2020
is 13gig.  With one message per file it could be several times that
size.

(Can anyone tell me an easy way to split an inbox file into separate
messages one per file?  I will test it and see how much bigger it gets.)

However, doing this only for bug-gnu-emacs mail, and only for the last
month or so, would not cause disk space problem.  That approach should
be feasible.

It would still depend on various participants to mark feature proposals
in the bug dataase.  Forwarding a message to emacs-devel to move those
threads there is just as easy as tagging it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman