Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 18:24:35 +0000

C-\ is used to set the input method. But we could move that functionality to C-^, and then give up C-\ to third party packages.

Except that \ is hard to type on most keyboards: C and \ are the two most distant keys on the most widespread keyboard layout (QWERTY), and on other keyboards \ requires pressing Shift or AltGr. Not exactly an appealing prefix.

The same could be said for C-o or M-o. And if you care about non-QWERTY layouts, C-z on a German QWERTZ keyboard isn't much better.

At least these are letters, which do not require pressing Shift or AltGr anywhere. Nothing is perfect, it's a practical problem, and "o" and "z" are the only letters that have a non-zero chance to be repurposed.

(Also I wonder, aren't Shift, Ctrl, and Alt keys meant to be used crosswise, i.e., left key for the right half of the keyboard, and vice versa? For example, how do you type C-b or C-t?)

That depends on your keyboard, not all keyboards have two Ctrl keys and two Meta/Alt keys. I remapped Caps Lock to Ctrl, and have my left pinkie almost always resting on it.