Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 08:00:05 -0500

   > Suppose we reserve one key for third-party packages.  Let's refer to
   > that key as C-α, to avoid specifying which key is chosen.
   >
   > Various packages will set up their own bindings for it.  If you load
   > more than one such package, which package's bindings will you get? How
   > do you get the ones you want?

   This is something that should be left to packages.  Org-mode would bind,
   say, C-α a, C-α c and C-α l, or perhaps C-α o a, C-α o c and C-α o l;
   Magit would bind C-α g and C-α M-g, or perhaps C-α g g and C-α g f; and
so
   forth.  There will be conflicts, of course, but only occasionally, and in
   those cases users would have to do something to resolve the conflict.

Wasn't C-? supposed to be a global keybinding?  org-mode speciic
bindings don't make sense outside of org-mode and mode specific
keybindings already have a set that is already reserved for them.  The
issue as I understood it was that there are some modes that have
bindings that make sense in a global context -- e.g., Magit
vs. vc-mode where the specific mode of the buffer doesn't matter.