Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 17:50:23 +0300

* Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> [2021-02-09 15:30]:
> > That is, I propose that we remove the `M-o' binding on the trunk for one
> > month, and see how many (if any) complaints we get.
>
> Perhaps replacing its binding with a message "The M-o key has been
> experimentally unbound, please M-x report-emacs-bug if you need it" would be
> even better?

It is not about complaints only. The M-o key is for face menu and it
is better to rethink why is M-o globally set and why not only in the
specific mode where those face menus make sense.

The one problem with unbinding it I can see only with {M-o M-s} to
center the line. I find it convenient useful in any text mode. Apart
from line centering I think that M-o as prefix should not be globally
bound in the other text modes but enriched modes.

Many of my notes are in the enriched format that is stored in the
database, so the M-o shall REMAIN BOUND in the enriched mode, but
definitely need not be globally bound like it is now.

Jean