Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 19:10:35 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 10:44:35 -0600
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > I thought it was clear: suddenly those users will have a gazillion
> > modes defined they never intended to use or load or even know about.
>
> Could we perhaps take another step back here and ask: why is that a
> problem?

generic-x is unusual, in that it defines a very large number of
modes.  It's like a large collection of small files, each one of which
defines a separate mode.  So it included a mechanism to pretend only
some of the file was loaded.

> To my mind, I only run the risk of getting some unexpected syntax
> highlighting (which would actually be welcome in my use).
>
> If the generic modes themselves are worse than having no syntax
> highlighting, they should either be fixed or removed.
>
> What am I missing?

Users might not want some file suddenly turn on a mode the user didn't
intend to use.  I don't understand what else there is to explain here,
really.