Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 19:12:05 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 11:02:23 -0600
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > So, maybe a better solution is to make sure the entries are added to the
> > *end* of `auto-mode-alist`, which should make them harmless enough.
>
> That sounds good to me: we would then use them only as a last resort.
>
> Is it true that any `auto-mode-alist' entries by third-party packages
> installed by package.el are autoloaded before the user can require
> generic-x from their init file?  Or did I misunderstand the package
>
> If it is true, I think that the above mostly solves the conflict with
> third-party packages, even in the case when it is added to
> `auto-mode-alist' using `add-to-list' instead of `push'.
>
> And would the above solution be acceptable to you, Eli?

The "above" being that generic-x will add to the end of
auto-mode-alist?  That's better than nothing, although it is still a
backward-incompatible change.  You assume that having some font-lock
cannot hurt, but that isn't necessarily what users will think, because
someone might _want_ to have certain files edited in Fundamental mode,
and adding font-lock could therefore be an unexpected annoyance.