Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 11:14:18 +0100

    >> Whether this is worth the effort in a world leaning ever so slowly
towards
    >> Cairo and pgtk is a little hard to tell, but a quick grep through src
    >> suggests that it would at least clear up a bunch of #ifdef spaghetti.
    >>
    >> Would the maintainers be interested in a branch that tried this? Would it
    >> be better to wait for pgtk to settle first? Is there a big use-case for
    >> those toolkits of which I'm unaware?

    martin> The only build I'd clean out is GTK-3.  Seriously.  I really ask
people
    martin> to use the pgtk branch for their daily work on a regular basis.
Once it
    martin> has been merged in, we can banish GTK-3 (not necessarily GTK-2 which
    martin> works quite satisfactorily here) from the remaining X-parts of our
code
    martin> base and nobody will complain about those #ifdef spaghetti any more.

If thatʼs what we want, then we should merge pgtk to master and ask
people to test it.

    martin> I give you one simple example with emacs -Q and the following
one-line
    martin> initial file:

    martin> (setq default-frame-alist '((cursor-color . "red3") (height . 32)))

    martin> Here this works well with Lucid, Motif, GTK-2 and without
x-toolkit.  It
    martin> does not work with GTK-3, which shows four lines below the
minibuffer
    martin> that apparently do not belong to anyone (it works with a GTK-3
build of
    martin> Emacs 25 though).  And the X pgtk build here simply refuses to
shrink
    martin> the frame to 32 lines but keeps it at 36 lines.  It's behaviors like
    martin> this that can keep you busy trying to make GTK-3 builds do something
    martin> reasonable at least.

Works fine for me here with a GTK build, although my frame ends up
with a height of 30. pgtk generally has issues with frame sizing and
positioning.

    martin> Once all the GTK-3 specific stuff has been moved to pgtk, people
can fix
    martin> GTK-3 specific bugs there and do not have to care about Motif or
other
    martin> X11-toolkits any more just as they do not have to care about W32 or
NS
    martin> now.

Tell you what, you remove impure GTK, and Iʼll remove Xft. Deal? :-)

Robert