Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:02:10 +0100

> But my question actually meant to say why the fact that Motif can wrap
> the menu is important enough to keep its support,

Because on GNU/Linux this provides a means for testing resizing of the
inner frame under the most heavy environmental conditions: It has to
deal with a wrapping menu, tool and tab bar all in one, something I can
test only on Windows otherwise.

> if no one uses it?

IIUC no one uses --with-x-toolkit=no or --without-x builds either, so
this argument doesn't count.  But why even care about removing things
that are not broken as long as

- there exist builds that are severely broken in many regards like our
  default GNU/Linux build,

- there exist largely untested builds like pgtk whose merging-in would
  in no way interfere with any of the toolkits whose support people
  despise,

- removing special Motif code might break other parts as well (we would
  have to continue to work with its WM hints, for example)?

martin