Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 12:16:31 +0100

Andrea Corallo via "Emacs development discussions."
<emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:

>   - ~6 months ago I was asked by Eli to open a bug [1] to handle code
>     review and merge process.  As of today ~3 months more passed since
>     my last try to ping this, unfortunately no progress was made.
>
>     Each day the code is not on master we lose some verification
>     opportunity.

I've got one question about how things are compiled that I meant to ask
but forgot: Why is AOT not the default, and why does the native-comp
branch do compilation on-the-fly in the background?

Neither seems natural for Emacs, I think?  I mean, we've never done
opportunistic .elc compilation -- we build Emacs, and then we use
whatever has been compiled (or not).  So I'm not sure how introducing
native code should make Emacs start compiling stuff in the background
when running Emacs normally.