Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 17:58:43 +0200

> Cc: andrewjmoreton@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 16:48:53 +0100
>
>  > I think it's clear we don't want to merge  of those two branches if they
>  > introduce regressions in the "normal" case (i.e. the case where we
>  > build without pgtk and without native-comp support).
>
> Which probably means that we still have to keep around and maintain our
> "impure" GTK3 build as well which implicitly means that the overhead for
> frame maintenance will almost double: In my experience, GTK3 is
> currently responsible for 90% of the overhead, NS for 9% and the entire
> rest (including Windows) for less than 1%.

The maintenance overhead will double if we assume that pgtk will
impose the same burden as GTK3 -- is the a reason to make that
assumption?

But yes, we will need to keep the GTK3 code at least in Emacs 28.  If
pgtk turns out to be relatively problem-free and similar enough in UX
to GTK3, we could look into removing GTK3 from Emacs 29.