Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 18:10:57 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I think the important question is: can we have this feature in a way
> that has fewer downsides?  Backward incompatibility of byte code is
> definitely a downside; if it can be avoided, that would be a net win,
> I think.

It can be avoided -- instead of stashing the modes in the byte code
signature, we could put them in (put ...) forms in the .elc files (like
`declare' does).

The downside is that this is slower and takes up a lot more room in the
.elc files, so it doesn't sound all that attractive as a solution in the
long term.

And if the .el file is incompatible (which they will be with the new
`interactive' syntax), does it make sense to keep the .elc files
compatible?  Yes, you can use the .elc files in Emacs 27, but not the
.el files?  It doesn't really seem like something to worry overmuch
about to me.