Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Matt Armstrong
Subject: Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 16:29:02 -0800

> Now that we have mode markup, should there be a command like `M-x',
> but instead lists only those commands that are specifically relevant
> to the current buffer?
>
> This would only be commands that have been marked for the current
> major mode and any active minor modes, I guess?
>
> If so, should that be bound to something, and if so, what?

Lars, my mail from Wednesday might have nudged you into action on
this. Regardless, at the time I said:

> Case in point: if a command isn't bound to a key it doesn't show up in
> help, so there is this pressure to bind everything that could possibly
> be useful to some person some day to some key. What if instead help
> showed all the interactive commands provided by the mode?  What if M-x
> were smarter about highlighting mode specific commands?

So, maybe include the list in `describe-mode' output? Or invent a new
`describe-extended-commands' command and bind that to C-h <something>?

Like a command line, commands like M-x are great for invoking the
commands you know about. Even though I mentioned M-x above, improving
help might be a better starting point.