Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 03:20:34 +0100

> Now that we have mode markup, should there be a command like `M-x', but
> instead lists only those commands that are specifically relevant to the
> current buffer?
>
> This would only be commands that have been marked for the current major
> mode and any active minor modes, I guess?

That would be very interesting, but AFAIU with the current
implementation it has some problems.

It would miss some candidates which belong to the current mode although
they are not marked as mode-specific because they are also applicable to
other contexts. This would be confusing for the user.

So we need a mechanism for saying `foo-bar-command' belongs to
`foo-mode', but it is not specific of that mode.