Re: A different way to interactively pass options to commands

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: A different way to interactively pass options to commands
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 23:24:29 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> For instance: showing the log of the current
> repository with default options is `ll' (two els); showing the log of
> all branches is `la'; showing the log of all branches along with the
> corresponding patch for each commit is `l-pa', and so on.

I see; interesting.

> So, could Emacs take advantage of something like this? I think so.

Yes, it does sound quite attractive.  For instance, in Gnus, when
responding to a message, there's...  I don't know how many commands.
Let's see:

S F             gnus-summary-followup-with-original
S L             gnus-summary-reply-to-list-with-original
S N             gnus-summary-followup-to-mail-with-original
S R             gnus-summary-reply-with-original
S V             gnus-summary-very-wide-reply-with-original
S W             gnus-summary-wide-reply-with-original
S f             gnus-summary-followup
S n             gnus-summary-followup-to-mail
S r             gnus-summary-reply
S v             gnus-summary-very-wide-reply
S w             gnus-summary-wide-reply
S B R           gnus-summary-reply-broken-reply-to-with-original
S B r           gnus-summary-reply-broken-reply-to

13!  Geez.  Anyway, the interface you describe would fit this use case
well, it seems to me: The choices are whether to include the original or
not, and what subset of the To/Cc's to include in the set...  Currently,
users are probably tapping `S C-h' and then learn what the binding is,
and then using that.  And then forgetting until the next time.

A Magit-like popup menu would probably be a much superior interface
here, I think?